2/13/2021; Week 06; Response to Attributional Tendencies in Cultures.
Each country has its attributional tendencies. Attributional tendencies refer to assume why people do what they do. People's behavior can be attributed to internal or external factors. When people attribute success or failure to themselves is referring to internal attribution. On the other hand, external attribution is about blaming others for failing or taking credit from others for success.
For instance, in Hong Kong and India, personal success and personal failure is an internal cause. In contrast, in Japan, personal success and failure are attributed to external sources. And in the USA individual success is internal, but personal failure is external.
When I think about myself, I tend to attribute my successes to my efforts and God's help. This thinking process makes me feel good and confident.
However, when I fail at something, I often blame myself for it. This is probably the way I was brought up at home. Although, I know that as I get older, I like to find comfort in thinking that failure is a requirement for success. I can help my students to remember this, it is okay to fail, it is a pre-requisite to success.
Comments
Post a Comment