2/08/21; Week06; Differences in Emotional Expressiveness
Emotional expressiveness is a way we demonstrate feelings of sadness, happiness, anger, surprise, and fear. To display emotions we use face gestures, body movements, and verbal expressions. For instance, crying, writing a love letter, smiling, laughing, or using a loud tone of voice, are examples of emotional expressiveness.
One of the factors that affect emotional expressivity is culture. Therefore, cultural differences influence the way we interpret expressions of emotion. For example, most people in Asia, Scandinavia, or Britain do not show a lot of public emotion; it is part of their culture. On the other hand, people in Latin America (Hispanic), Middle East, Southern Europe are, in general, very emotional in public.
Imagine a scale on a horizontal line where one side represents low tolerant expressivity (do not show a lot of emotions publicly) and on the other side represents high tolerant expressivity (show a lot of emotions openly). Where do you think we can place these countries on the scale? Where would you appoint yourself?
I come from a Hispanic background. I can see myself on the high tolerant expressivity side of the scale. I like to kiss and hug my husband in public. I speak up with a loud voice if someone cuts in line in front of me. But learning that other people from other countries have a different way to display their emotions, has helped me become more conscious of these traits.
As an ESL teacher and as an individual living in a country where there is a lot of diversity; It is essential to be aware of these differences in emotional expressivity and experience positive interpersonal relationships. It is personally significant for me because I will have students in my classroom from different backgrounds who need a caring and understanding teacher.
Hi Olimpia, I enjoyed reading your post and learning about your cultural expressivity. I am such a quiet and shy person that I hate to draw attention to myself. However, I really admire that about you and always strive to be more vocal/less timid.
ReplyDelete