2/03/21;Week 5; Response to "Cultural Differences Concerning Time"

I never heard of monochronic and polychronic cultures before. Nevertheless, the definition of these two words helped me understand why I do things the way I do. Monochronic people schedule events that take place one at a time in an orderly manner. Commitment, punctuality, privacy, and preciseness is essential for these individuals. On the other hand, polychronic people schedule more than one task simultaneously as long as they accomplish the work without worrying about deadlines. Interpersonal relationships are essential. They worry more about their family and friends than other acquaintances.
 
My family moved from Mexico City to Canada when I was 15 years old. About ten years later, I went back to Mexico to visit. I understood the language very well, but I did not understand the people. While reading the differences between the two cultures, I realized I had adopted traits from both lifestyles. 

This awareness will be of great value in my TESOL classroom because, to some degree, it will help me to understand my students' rationale.
I also know that I will be more tolerant and patient when I go on vacations to Mexico and Spain.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2/08/21; Week06; Differences in Emotional Expressiveness

2/16/2021; Week 07; Response to Difference in Manners

01/14/21;Week02;Response to "Is the Great American Teacher Dead?"