02/11/2021; Week 06; Response to Individualism vs Collectivism

It has been an eye-opening experience to read in more detail about the culture and linguistic diversity. There are two types of society in culture, the individualistic and the collectivistic culture. Both follow different patterns of values and behaviors that are passed on from one generation to the next. 

Individualistic people's views are oriented around themselves. They focus on independence, individual rights, self-reliance, true to own values, shame to individual failure, look for help if needed, and obtain individual progress. On the other hand, collectivistic individuals are more oriented to do things as a group. The needs of the group come before the needs or desires of each individual. These people are interdependent, they rely on the group, they hold fast to traditional practices and values, they take care of their own, they feel shame when they fail the group, and hierarchical decision-making is greatly considered.

We need to realize that the characteristics of both individualism and collectivism fall along a continuum. In any culture, there will be components of both elements. For example, I grew up in a collectivistic culture; but we have some values of individualism in our families such as getting a career and generate progress, and our property was owned individually.  

Most people in the United States are considered individualistic. As I was reading the differences between these two cultures, I went back in time. When my oldest daughter got married, she had not finished school. Getting a degree was very important for me and my husband. We told her that we would continue helping her with rent and tuition until she finishes school. Her husband, an American boy, was not comfortable with this idea. We had to convince him about our sincere desires to help them. It would have been very helpful to know all these things I am learning today. 

Acquiring this kind of knowledge makes me feel humble. It makes me think about the importance of learning about other cultures and understand them. I feel like I have been given a new pair of glasses through which I can see people and not just look at people. As an ESL teacher, I want to see my students with my new glasses.              

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2/08/21; Week06; Differences in Emotional Expressiveness

2/16/2021; Week 07; Response to Difference in Manners

01/14/21;Week02;Response to "Is the Great American Teacher Dead?"